The Getting Started with the MSP430 LaunchPad Workshop is an in-depth introduction into MSP430 basics. The LaunchPad is an easy-to-use development tool intended for beginners and experienced users alike for creating microcontroller-based applications.
The LaunchPad development kit is a part of the MSP430 Value Line series. LaunchPad has an integrated DIP target socket that supports up to 20 pins, allowing MSP430 Value Line devices to be dropped into the LaunchPad board.
Also, an on-board flash emulation tool allows direct interface to a PC for easy programming, debugging, and evaluation. Included are free and downloadable software development environments for writing and debugging software.
LaunchPad can be used to create interactive solutions thanks to its on-board push buttons, LEDs, and extra input/output pins for easy integration of external devices.
- An introduction to the Value Line series of products
- An overview of Code Composer Studio 5.1
- Initialization of the MSP430 and programming the GPIO
- Use of the ADC10 analog-to-digital converter
- Working with interrupts and the timer
- Optimizing your code for low-power operation
- Using serial communications
- Using the Grace peripheral configuration GUI
- An overview of FRAM technology (no lab)
- Optional: Learning to use Capacitive Touch
Each of these sections includes an in-depth lab that will step you through the usage, programming and testing of the peripheral(s) or tool(s) covered.
$29 for a full day of instruction plus labs on the take home MSP430 Launchpad (MSP-EXP430G2)
Feb 27, 2013 -
Mar 20, 2013 - Brookfield, WI (Hosted by Arrow Electronics)
Mar 20, 2013 - Orlando, FL (Hosted by Avnet)
Apr 17, 2013 - Dallas, TX
You will also receive the CapTouch Board to use after the class (430BOOST-SENSE1)
Link to Launchpad Board description: http://www.ti.com/tool/msp-exp430g2
CapTouch Board description: https://estore.ti.com/430BOOST-CAPTOUCH1-Capacitive-Touch-BoosterPack-P2361.aspx
Why LaunchPad? Download the newest Launchpad workshop materials here
The LaunchPad is an easy-to-use, affordable, and scalable introduction to the world of microcontrollers and the MSP430 family.
Easy-to-use – LaunchPad includes all of the hardware and software needed to get started. Open source projects and code examples help users get up and running quickly.
Affordable – For $4.30, the LaunchPad includes a development board, 2 programmable MSP430 microcontrollers, mini-USB cable, PCB connectors for expandability, external crystal for increased clock accuracy, and free & downloadable software integrated development environments (IDEs) – everything you need to get started today.
Scalable – The LaunchPad is a simple introduction to the MSP430 microcontroller family. As application requirements change, programs developed on the LaunchPad can be migrated to higher end MSP430 devices
This class requires that you bring your own laptop to class to run the labs. You will need the following software loaded prior to class start:
- A Windows XP or later computer with 1G or more free hard drive space
- The free, code-size limited version of Code Composer Studio 5.1 Click Here
- The workbook pdf Click Here
- The installation file for the workshop labs Click Here
- The LaunchPad development tool Click Here
- Temperature Demo GUI Click Here
- Grace Code Composer Studio plug-in Click Here
- Optional: Module 8 covers the Capacitive Touch BoosterPack (provided in class however you will need to wait and use it after class as it needs to be soldered).
- If you want to run these labs, you will need to solder the Molex connectors to your LaunchPad board and you will need the Boosterpack Click Here.
Click here for detailed lab instructions
- US and European classes are subject to cancellation if minimum number of attendees is not met one week prior to the date of the workshop.
- Minimum = 5 Maximum = 12